Stanton St Bernard History Group
- The History Group started in 2007 following the events held to mark the 90th anniversary of the sale of the village by the Pembroke Estate and the publication of the book “A History of Stanton St Bernard”. The aim is to pursue our interest in history generally and in particular to gather information about Stanton St Bernard and the Vale of Pewsey.
- Over the years, Stanton residents and people with family connections to the village have been generous in sharing photographs, documents and reminiscences. At present we are archiving this collection using acid-free folders and boxes.
- We meet when we have something to show or discuss and have arranged informal meetings, exhibitions, talks by archaeologists and historians, local walks, visits to places of interest and an archaeological dig in the village.
- Local “finds” have been identified using the History Group’s pottery reference collection or by consulting the experts at the Wiltshire Museum.
- We are an informal group, consisting of a small committee, communicating by email with about 30 members. There is no subscription: the intention is for each event to be self-financing.
- We are open to new ideas and welcome new members. If you are would like to join the mailing list or have any information, questions, suggestions or an intriguing “find”, please speak to one of the committee members who are: Val Knowles, Jacky Read, Mel and Philip Humphries-Cuff, Robin Schneider,
or contact us on email@example.com